The Bible is the Word of God, inerrant in the original autographs (manuscripts). It is the best-selling and greatest book of all time. The Bible as we now have it, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, has flourished for nearly two millenia. I am doing a series of quizzes, containing about 10-12 questions each time, in order to stimulate further interest study of God's Word, the Book of all books. I will list the answers in my next blog in about 2-3 days. Here is the first quiz. A few questions are relatively easy, but some fairly difficult:
1. What are the 3 languages of the original manuscripts of the Bible?
2. The first (oldest) translation of the Old Testament was made for the Jews of many lands, and was also the primary Bible, rather than the Hebrew Bible, of the early church. What was the translation called, what was its numeric symbol, and what was its language?
3. Which of the three divisions of Judaism hid and preserved for posterity, the "Dead Sea Scrolls" from the Romans, who in 68 B.C. destroyed their community?
4. All except which book of the Old Testament was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls?
5. What is a large book that contains the Bible in multiple languages called? Clue: multiple=poly (it's prefix is poly, the word begins with poly_)
6. What is the writing style, used in ancient Bible manuscripts or parchments, that consists of large, plain, capital letters, called?
7. What is the word for the ancient writing style found hidden under the more modern, cursive writing on a parchment? The word means "written twice."
8. King Josiah found and had read to his people this book of the Law (Torah or Pentateuch) in a temple hiding place. What's the book's name?
9. Which early "Church Father" began translation work, in about 380 A.D., on the authorized Latin Vulgate?
10. The oldest extant New Testament manuscript discovered, dates from about 125 A.D. (C.E.) and is part of which Gospel book?
11. Who used moveable type to print the Latin Vulgate in the 1400's at Mainz, Germany?
12. About how many languages have never had a single verse of the Bible:
a) 1,000 b) 2,000 c) 3,000 d) 4,000
Answers will be published Sunday or Monday (2-3 days), with a new Quiz on the Bible, the world's greatest book.