Thursday, March 5, 2009

Al Bashir, ordered arrested for war crimes in Sudan, retaliates against humanitarian groups

Sudanese President Omar Al Bashir became the first sitting head of a country to be issued an arrest warrant by the International Criminal Court ( the ICC). As had been predicted, al-Bashir retaliated by expelling six humanitarian NGO's and denouncing the ICC.

More than 300,000 have died and up to 3 million have been displaced, fleeing their homes, since the 2003 start of the genocide and ethnic cleansing in Darfur, western Sudan.

The I.C.C. formally charged al-Bashir with war crimes. They allege that he ordered his troups and Arab militias to kill, torture, and rape civilians in Darfur, including many women and children.

Please fervently pray for a quick end to the genocide, and that the atrocities do not escalate, now that the humanitarian groups, that were helping the vulnerable women and children, have been expelled. And pray God will raise up a new generation of righteous leaders in the Sudan.

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16 (KJV)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an utter tragedy. Many places in the 10/40 window are experiencing similar circumstances.

You have my prayers. Excellent blog.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you got my post (written yesterday) in reference to your January post on 200 Years of Missions in China:

Hi -- you helped me to find a huge geneological link to my "2nd Great Grand Aunt": Dr. Ella (Ellen) Swinney, a Baptist medical missionary who opened a hospital in Shanghai in the late 19th century. From my records, she was the first homeopathic physician sent from the US. I have recently taken up tracing my family tree via software programs, and I was stuck on "Ellen" and was not sure if she was the physician who was my grandmother's great aunt. The stories that my grandmother told me of her great aunt were amazing, but I could only find her recorded as "Ellen," as my grandmother passed away nearly 10 years ago. My parents have trunks full of Ella's treasures, so I'm inspired to go through them. Your blog (found on a Google search) opened this up for me -- a huge THANK YOU for linking me to "ELLA Swinney!!" She apparently was next recorded as being in a hospital for lung infections in 1900 in Pennsylvania. She died due to respiratory illnesses that she contracted in China on November 14, 1900. Thank you for helping me unlock the mysteries into researching this amazing woman and her ancestors!!

Ron Davis said...

I left you a lot of geneoligical info re your great aunt Dr Swinney on the blog about China missions. Email or facebook me and I can probably get you a booklet that has her photo in it. In the picture she looks fairly young and is in a neat Victorian dress.